Monday 13 August 2012

Green Tortoise Beetle

I found this rather cute beetle in my garden last month. It's a Green Tortoise beetle (Cassida viridis) and you only have to observe it for a minute or two to see how it got its name.


PLEASE CLICK ON IMAGES TO ENLARGE THEM


When disturbed, this small beetle will retreat under its shell in much the same way as a tortoise does.




When it thinks the coast is clear, it tentatively peaks out from under its shell...




and then marches off, showing us its tortoise-like head.




and another view, this time on a contrasting backdrop;




This was the first time I had seen a Green Tortoise beetle and it's always nice to find something new in my garden. I'll be keeping an eye out for them in the future even though they're not the easiest insect to spot.

All images taken with a Canon 60D with MP-E 65mm macro lens and diffused MT-24EX flashgun.

3 comments:

  1. Excellent shots. It is particularly nice to see the side view of the head, which I have not seen pictured before.

    ReplyDelete